Sports Betting Online In China
Click for Chinese version – 点此进入中文版
Betting football and other sports is popular in China with government Sporttery terminals available in most cities for European football and American basketball betting. In this form of pool/lotto betting the payout is determined by the volume of wagers placed by other people. Quite often singles on popular teams fail to return much more than the stake. But, tipping a correct score margin in a multiple along with ke (visitors) on the point spread and then either da (big/over) or xiao (small/under) on total goals does give a chance for bigger odds. While Chinese Sports Lottery is popular, serious gamblers understand that online bookies provide better odds. To give a very simple example, in the European Championships, a 100 RMB wager to beat Croatia in the group stages returned 9RMB. Placing this same bet at an overseas bookies would have returned more than 60RMB, almost 7 times as much as the amount won from the government run outlets.
Betting Online From China
Although online betting with foreign bookmakers is illegal in China, about the extent the authorities go to enforce this is blocking access to certain websites. Quite often internet bookies are not blocked, but even when they are purchasing a VPN for $15.00 US (about￥95元) per month will get you around the block. It’s best however to first find a betting site that works unblocked and then save that link in case it becomes blocked in the future. For example start by trying www.dafabet.com.
Best Chinese Sports Betting Sites
A few things you should have before betting online:
- A utility bill in your own name. When using reputable online bookies located abroad, they’ll want to confirm your address at some point. It’s very standard for them to ask you email or upload a scan of your utility bill. An acceptable scan is either of a phone bill, power bill, internet bill, cable television, or water bill. Be sure you have at least one of these in your name.
- A government issued photo ID. This can be your Resident Identity Card (Jumin Shenfenzheng) or a passport. The foreign online bookmaker might ask you to fax this to confirm your identity.
- A method to deposit. Most foreign bookmakers accept payments via Chinese Unionpay debit cards. Popular supported banks include Industrial and Commercial Bank, Merchants Bank, Construction Bank, Shen Zhen Development, Citic Industrial, Industrial Co, Agricultural Development, Hua Xia, Everbright Bank, Guang Dong Development, MinSheng Banking, CPSRB and Bank of China. If you have a debit card from one of these banks depositing is no challenge. Warning: this card must be in your own name.
- A bank account. To get paid when you win you’ll need to request a bank transfer. This bank account needs to be your own name and match the name on your utility bill, photo ID, and debit card (if name shown).
Once you have all these you’re ready to bet online. The bookmakers listed in the table below all support Chinese language, offer accounts in CYN/RMB, accept Chinese debit card deposits and payout using Chinese bank transfers. They each offer betting on US and European sports plus Chinese football. This includes Super League and Jia League to go along with English Premier League, Italian Serie A, German Bundesliga, NBA and WNBA basketball and many other leagues and competitions. (note: if a site is blocked click a link to another)
Reasons to Use Foreign Bookies
First I should explain the foreign bookmakers that service China are reputable. For example www.188bet.com is licensed in the Isle of Man which is a British Crown dependency with a great gambling commission. This is the same gambling board that licenses the world’s largest poker site (PokerStars.com). 188 sponsors numerous UK sport franchises including Bolton Wanderers and London Wasps and they’re betting partners of Chelsea and Liverpool. Another is www.12bet.com who are the sponsors of the premiership football team Wigan Athletic. The reasons to use these reputable sites are many, but top reasons are listed below.
- Far more markets – when betting with reputable online bookies there are far more markets available than sporttery.cn offers. For example you can bet 1×2 (home / draw / away) you can bet on over under total goals, or bet on the match with handicap. It’s also possible to bet correct score and which player will score first and these can be bet as a multiple with massive payouts. The additional wagering options are near unlimited; a small sample includes bookings and corners, and you can even bet on something as simple as which team will kickoff.
- In-play betting – All the major online bookies that support CYN/RMB currency offer a vast number of in-play markets.
- Mobile betting – most all European and Asian bookies offer unique betting platforms that handle smart phones such as iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Nokia. This makes it easy to make bets on the go.
- Better Odds – The absolute best reason to turn to foreign internet bookies is they offer far better odds than be found with sporttery or a local bookie -(赌本), meaning the amount you win will often be several times higher than what you win betting with a local government agent
To give online betting a try from China, start by visiting www.dafabet.com or any other website listed here. As a reminder if the site later becomes blocked you can get around this by purchasing a VPN for about 95 RMB per month.