Sports Betting in China
Betting on football and other sports through the government operated China Sports Lottery is popular. European football and American basketball betting is available in most cities. In this form of pool/lotto betting, the payout is determined by the volume of wagers placed by other people.
Quite often singles on popular teams fail to return much more than the stake. But, picking a winning accumulator does give a chance for bigger odds.
While the Chinese Sports Lottery is popular, serious gamblers understand that betting websites provide better odds. To give a very simple example, a 100 RMB wager on a football match with the Chinese Sports Lottery could return around 9RMB. Placing this same bet at an overseas bookies could return more than 60RMB, almost 7 times as much as the amount won from the government-run outlets.
Are Betting Websites Legal in China?
Although online betting with foreign bookmakers is illegal in China, the extent the authorities go to enforce this is restricting access to certain websites.
Quite often internet bookies are not blocked, but even when they are, purchasing a VPN will get you around it. However, it’s best to first find betting sites that work unblocked and then save that link in case it changes in the future.
How to Use Online Bookmakers in China
You will need the following things before you can access online sports betting in China:
- A utility bill in your name – When using our recommended top betting sites that are located abroad, they’ll want to confirm your address at some point. It’s standard for them to ask you to email or upload a scan of your utility bill. An acceptable scan is either of a phone, power, internet, television, or water bill. Be sure you have at least one of these in your name.
- A government-issued photo ID – This can be your Resident Identity Card (Jumin Shenfenzheng) or a passport. SBO.net recommended betting websites might ask you to email this to confirm your identity.
- A method to deposit – Most online bookmakers accept payments via Chinese Unionpay debit cards and a wide range of other deposit options. Popular supported banks include:
- Industrial and Commercial Bank
- Merchants Bank
- Construction Bank
- Shen Zhen Development
- Citic Industrial
- Industrial Co
- Agricultural Development
- Hua Xia
- Everbright Bank
- Guang Dong Development
- MinSheng Banking
- Bank of China
If you have a debit card from one of these banks depositing is easy. However, this card must be in your own name.
- A bank account – To receive winnings you’ll need to request a bank transfer. This bank account needs to be your own name and match the name on your utility bill, photo ID, and debit card (if name shown).
Once you have all the above you’re ready to bet online. The bookmakers listed in the table below all support Chinese language, offer accounts in CYN/RMB, accept Chinese debit card deposits and pay out using Chinese bank transfers.
Most Popular Sports to Bet on in China
All our bookmakers offer betting on a wide range of US, European and Asian sports including Chinese Super League football (CSL). Other popular sports and leagues to bet on include:
- Chinese Jia League
- English Premier League
- Serie A
No matter which sport you love or want to bet on, our bookies will provide a choice of markets and brilliant odds.
Reasons to Use Our Recommended Sites
Firstly, all bookmakers we recommend that offer services in China are reputable and licenced. For example, many of our sites are licensed by the UK Gambling Commission. This is the same gambling board that licenses the world’s largest poker site (PokerStars.com).
Licencing is just one reason to use our recommended bookmakers, others include:
- More markets – When betting with reputable online bookies there are far more markets available than the Chinese Sports Lottery offers. For example, you can bet 1×2 (home / draw / away) you can bet on over under total goals or bet on a match with handicap.
It’s also possible to bet on the correct score and which player will score first. These can even be combined as a multiple with potentially massive payouts. The additional wagering options are near unlimited; a small sample includes bookings and corners, and you can even bet on something as simple as which team will kick-off.
- In-play betting – All the major online bookmakers that support CYN/RMB currency offer a vast number of live, in-play markets. This means you can get closer to the action and increase the excitement whilst watching your favourite sport.
- Mobile betting – All our recommended betting websites offer platforms that handle smart phones such as iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Nokia. This makes it easy to make bets on the go.
- Better Odds – The best reason to use our sites is that they offer far better odds than can be found with the Chinese Sports Lottery or a local bookie -(赌本), meaning the amount you win will often be several times higher than what you win betting with a local government agent
China Betting FAQs
No. State run lotteries take legal bets on sports and other forms of gambling. The China Sports Lottery and Welfare Lottery are both popular with Chinese bettors.
Yes. Most of our recommended bookmakers – listed above – offer new players a welcome deposit bonus. There are also plenty of free bets and promotions for existing players too.
Yes. Our expert team has found the best bookmakers for Chinese residents and most of them offer mobile play. Visit your preferred bookmaker above to find out more.
At SBO.net our team has researched to bring you the best sports betting sites. The bookmakers listed above all offer excellent odds on a wide range of sports and markets.